PPMM: Recent Appointment Of Macc Chief Commissioner
PERSATUAN PEGUAM MUSLIM MALAYSIA (PPMM)
RE : RECENT APPOINTMENT OF MACC CHIEF COMMISSIONER
1. Persatuan Peguam Muslim Malaysia (PPMM) notes that Latheefa Beebi Koya (Latheefa Koya), a member of Malaysian Bar, has been appointed as the new Chief Commissioner of Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) as recently announced by the government.
2. It was further reported (and confirmed) that her appointment was made unilaterally by The Most Honourable Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad (without consulting cabinet members and Pakatan Harapan’s (PH) leaders).
3. We acknowledge that the said appointment does not contravene with any existing and relevant Malaysian law. We further acknowledge that Latheefa Koya, like any other available candidate, has the required academic and legal credential to assume the post.
4. Notwithstanding with the legality of the said appointment and both Latheefa Koya’s credibility, capability and competency, we wish to express our concern over the said decision on following reasons, inter alia:
4.1 Parliamentary Special Select Committee on Major Public Appointments (“Parliamentary Special Select Committee”) that aims to reduce political intervention over important key national positions was not involved in the process of the said appointment;
4.2 The said appointment evidently contradicts and inconsistent with PH’s election manifesto; and
4.3 It gives rise to an ostensible conflict of interest since Latheefa Koya has long been an active member of Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) who had formerly served on several key positions in its central committee.
5. On top of that, PPMM verily believes that such appointment will directly and indirectly cause trust deficit towards the agency and it will inevitably demoralise the morale as well as the enforcement spirit of the agency.
6. The said appointment of political persona will assuredly give rise to adverse inference towards the integrity of the agency both locally and internationally as an independent agency tasked with combating corruption and abuse of power.
7. Though PPMM welcome Lathefa Koya firm statement to fight against corruptions on the first day of her appointment as MACC Chief Commissioner, PPMM believes the public may have certain reservations due to her past affiliation with ruling political party.
8. From the foregoing reasons, we humbly request the relevant authorities to clarify these matters.
Dato’ Haji Zainul Rijal Abu Bakar
Persatuan Peguam-Peguam Muslim Malaysia
Date: June 08, 2019